Monday, July 03, 2006

Thriller in Manila - Part 2

They love Boxing in the Philippines. Last weekend myself and two of my co-workers (mike K. and donnelly edmond from costa rica) decided to try and get tickets for the Pacquiao - Larios Superfeather weight IBC Title fight. The fight was in Manila at the Araneta coliseum. It is the same location where the famous Ali - Joe Frazier "thriller in Manila" fight took place on Oct 1, 1975 (they had the banner in the bldg that is the only reason I remember the exact date). We managed to get some scalped tickets for $2,000 Peso or $40 USD / person. Face value for the tickets were $7,920 Pesos or $160 USD. I am not sure if they were counterfeit tickets but nobody tried to claim our seats. Unfortunately, I did not bring my camera so I don't have any pictures.

I am not a huge boxing fan, but the fight was amazing. Pacquiao is from the Philippines and Larios is from Mexico. Pacquiao was, obviously, the hometown favorite. They even brought in Michael Buffer of "lets get ready to ruuummmble" fame to do the introduction. In typical Michael Buffer fashion, he really got the crowd going.

the fight went the distance, 12 rounds. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. It was a wonderful cultural experience .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home